I'm back in the saddle again!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Howdy!  Haha that was solely to go with my title. ;)  But I am back in the saddle of doing home projects!

So, to start off, after about 9 years in our home we finally got our electrician friend and neighbor to help us hide our TV cords!  Here's a before pic.  This is how it's looked forever.


It was a difficult project to tackle because the TV is directly above the fireplace.  Between the TV and the cable box are like 5 studs so it's not a simple fix.  We got Lou over and we mulled over the best way to proceed.  Daniel and Lou decided the best way to go would be to cut out a piece of the drywall and notch out the studs instead of trying to drill through them.  The plugs were too big to pull through the hole we would make.

Cutting away

Then time to notch some room for the cords.
This way was good too because all we had to do was push the insulation back instead of trying to cut through it.

After we put the cords in and put the drywall piece back up.

After our initial touch up.  I love it already.
We're not finished touching it up but I think it looks 100 times better already.  Those cords have been a thorn in my side for-EVER.

For the last year or so I've been focusing on the formal living room/entry/dining area that you see when you walk in our house.  I finally touched up the paint on the stairs where I removed the unnecessary banister.

So pretty! Can't even tell there was a banister there.
Daniel was sweet enough to add the kick plate to our front door that I bought months ago...

Love it!
And while I am trying to finish the fine details on the projects I started a year ago, there will always be that unexpected project that will pop up when least convenient.  We recently discovered a major leak under the kitchen sink...

Had to rip out all the rotted wood beneath.

After removal of said rotted wood.

Finished product!

New board underneath too.
I can't tell you how much I love and appreciate having a handy hubby.  It comes in handy so often! lol  It also helps that he works for a construction company and they had spare parts. ;)  We had to replace the faucet as well because that's where the leak was coming from, but I keep forgetting to take a pic of it.  It's nothing fancy, but I love it because it's new. 

I have another pallet project that I'm working on too for this wall in the TV room...


I swear you'd think we just moved in because we haven't put anything up on the walls in this room... But anyway, we have this cabinet in our downstairs bathroom that houses our hand towels and spare toilet paper and whatnot that we got as a wedding gift.  So it's almost 10 years old and is slowly falling apart.
After the first door fell off the hinges...
I decided to put those doors to good use instead of just throwing the whole thing away.

Tada!
I printed out some cute pics of our boys and voila! really cute photo displays!  The plan is to paint or stain some pallet boards and mount these on them.  I'm not 100% sure whether or not I'm going to make individual backgrounds, like this Pinterest idea which got me started in the first place or do one whole piece like my dining room pallet art.  Either way I can't wait to see the finished product.  I'll be sure and keep you posted!

I almost forgot the other idea for that wall!  I was inspired by this pic on Pinterest. My idea is to put this molding up that we have left over from doing our base boards forever ago.  I'll put the molding a little above our big comfy chair height and paint beneath it a darker color.  Less painting and cheaper than doing wainscoting which we can't afford at the moment.  Eeek! I'm excited about it.

Well, that about does it for now.  You'll hear from me again soon... if all goes well.

Have a great rest of your week!
~Holly

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow Me