Kitchen Cabinets... It has begun!!!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Well, well, well, look who actually  came through and started the kitchen cabinet doors!  Got to use my nifty paint sprayer finally.  Well, Daniel did anyway.  The directions weren't stellar, I must say.  Basically there was a  picture of all the parts pointing to each other.  He figured it out tho.  Here's coat one of one side of some of the doors.

A little stripey but we'll fix that later....

We're taking our time with these babies.  I don't want to go through all this work to end up with smudges because I didn't let them dry long enough.  This weekend we'll do coat one of the other side then the weekend after that we'll be in New Orleans, so there's that.
 
(Small UPDATE: I'm a total liar.  While hunting in the garage for my red spray paint for another project I realized that we did one coat of paint on both sides of the doors.  Duh! So this weekend we'll be doing coat 2 on both sides, one day apart.)

I realize this means it'll take FOR-EV-ER to finish the kitchen, but so be it.  Anything worth doing...  Those two little doors came from above the microwave and let me tell you, EW!!!   So greasy and nasty.  Cleaning those was prolly the worst and longest part of this process.  I used Deglosser to get them ready for painting then wiped them down with Odorless Mineral Spirits.  In the spirit of full disclosure I must say I wish I had cleaned them a wee bit better.  I could have gone to town scraping goop off but these are the backs of the doors so I'm not super concerned.  I'll give the fronts another once over to be sure before we paint that side.  Also I have to figure out a way to elevate them.  They kept sticking to the brown paper. :(

With the paint sprayer, the painting took maybe a minute per door.  Super fast.  The directions say to thin the paint but we didn't have to with the water based paint we used.  I used Behr paint and primer in one, Semi-Gloss in ultra white or something like that.  Started with a quart and it's probably only gonna be enough for both coats of this set of doors.  So we'll definitely be getting more of that later.  Since we're taking our time anyway, it works.

BEFORE: Kitchen boxes
I am so excited to see the "After".  Are you??  As for those nasty counter tops, at this point we're leaning towards granite tile.  I wanna do black but it's a little more pricey than the salt and pepper tiles so we'll see.  I was thinking it'd be too much white on white but I've seen some good examples on Pinterest of the combo and it can work.  It's all about decorating/accessorizing.

So that's the beginning!  Stay tuned.  Can you imagine the updated post in a few months with the final "After" pics?? Eeek!

☼Holly☼

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow Me