Tufted Ottoman UPDATE!

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Howdy!
    Hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend!  I'm a might tired but I had a pretty great weekend.  I took yesterday off work to spend some quality time with my man who finally made it home from a work trip.  He was gone Good Friday till yesterday. :(  While he was gone I was pretty busy tho...

First of all, well it's actually the second project I did but it's a finally finished kinda thing, I did the tufting on the ottoman!!! It's completely done and I'm in love.



Eeek! I'm so excited and it was really quite simple.  I laid under the ottoman and poked the upholstery needle with the wax lined thread (nice and thick so it doesn't snap with the tension) up through the hole that we pre-drilled in the table before we covered it with the batting/fabric.  Tracy grabbed it once it was through and put the needle through the button and then poked the needle back down and searched and searched for the hole lol put it back through the hole to me.  I pulled it through, cut the needle off, knotted the thread and staple gunned it to the table.  Tracy indicated to me how tight to pull the thread so it was just the right amount of tension.  The ottoman didn't need the tufting per say but I think it gives it a more finished and professional look.

My big, time consuming project of the weekend was refinishing my dining set!  It was Daniel's grandmothers before us so I had never considered actually refinishing it because of that.  My co-worker pushed me in the right direction though.  She said, "Is it your dining set or not?!"  Which made me realize that you know what? yeah it IS mine! lol

Here's a before pic of the table.  I didn't take detailed during transformation pics, sorry, I was just too involved. All I did was a light sand, I did not try to take all the finish off, then painted white paint/primer in one (one coat), let it dry then I painted 2 coats of my free grey paint. I got the free paint at my local Habitat for Humanity RE-Store.  They have a little pile outside of free stuff sometimes and I found a quart of grey paint the other day when I drove by. Yay free!





I'm in love with the modern look of it.

I wish I would have remembered to take a picture of the chair seats "before" because they were truly disgusting and the transformation is quite dramatic.  The fabric before was a light cream colored stripe which over the years had become very stained and just gross.  I had these ugly celery green seat covers for about a year now just to cover up the yuck.

Got to use the last of my chevron fabric too, bonus!

 I sanded the chairs and spray painted them black.  There was also an embossed seashell on each of the chairs which Tracy and I filled with wood filler and then sanded smooth.  You can still see a hint of them but now that they're black they don't bother me nearly as much.  Daniel was happy with the results too. *hugging self*

So I didn't get everything that I had originally wanted to get done but I'm so happy with what I did do that I don't care. ;)


Have a great week!
Love
Holly

P.S. I almost forgot my bunny butt pancakes for Easter! Pinterest idea of course...  I made these for the boys on Sunday morning.  They loved em.  My mother in law gave me some pink pancake mix then I just added some tiny marshmallows for the tail and some frosting/sprinkles for the paw marks. 



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. you are quite the upholsterer! (awkward word)

    great job! :) love the sequins... sooo chamber 2001! :D (well, earlier for you b/c you were JUST THAT GOOD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Debbie! I love the sequins too, so me. ;) And thanks! :D

      Delete

Follow Me